Some serious day off happenings.

Damn.
Today was the perfect day.
The May Day Parade put on by the Heart of the Beast Puppet Theater goes right down Bloomington Ave and takes a right into Powderhorn Park.
I happen to live on Bloomington Ave, and about 5 houses from where the parade changes course.
So, the party was naturally at my place.

While I was doing some yard work getting ready this morning,
a very nice family was checking out my house pretty hard.
Turns out, they lived in my house for 30+ years ending in the 1990's, and wanted a tour of what it looked like now.
I traded them a look around the house for all of their info on what used to be where.
I guess it was once a duplex, and had a shower in the basement.
It was fascinating, and a great start to the day.
I love my old weird house.

Then some people came over, and we hit the parade.
There was a lot of puppets and floats and dancing.
The street was packed, so Meryl went and got our benches to stand on.
Which is why it looks like we're towering over everyone in these photos.
We are.

A pedal powered punk gear float.


That pig is on stilts!


Empty seated bear guys.
So dope.


After the parade, we regrouped in our backyard.
We barbecued corn, veggie burgers, and portobello mushrooms,
had pasta and potato salads,
even vegan fudgsicles.

I've been waiting for a dry day off to pitfire those antlers I made from clay a few weeks ago.
Casey and I dug a hole,
filled the bottom with small twigs and things,
put down a metal grate,
placed the clay antlers on them, and then built up a pretty good fire.
It's supposed to burn pretty strong for a few hours,
and sometime tomorrow we'll dig out the (hopefully) finished pieces.
It's a pretty crude process.



Katie (who was riding a unicycle in the parade)and I had a balancing competition in the meantime.
Rakes, brooms.....



and folding chairs.
I'm not actually using my hand there.
It's just on my chin.
Some of the neighbors cheered us on.


By nightfall, the fire was winding down.
Just a hole of hot embers.
I'm going to dig them out tomorrow, and remember to use the camera more.
I wish I documented this better, in case it works out.



Tomorrow's another big day.
I have to be done with the art making soon,
I have a week and a half left.
That might be a lot of late nights, but it's going to come together somehow.
(It better.)